Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tallies

I can't believe that October is already almost over- it seems like yesterday I was just realizing we had made it through our first month together! Today, I am staying home due to a nasty cough and cold that I have been trying to fight for four days. It finally got to the point where as I was losing my voice yesterday, I realized that if any of the kids has this cough, I'd be calling the nurse. 

This week the students have been working very hard at staying on task and focusing, to earn a read in on Friday. We were very close last week, but we ran out of time. This week however, they seem to be working extra hard to achieve that goal. 

In class the students are typing up their first narratives. I am really enjoying reading what the kids have written, and am noticing each year that the writing is getting better and better. I am very proud of their stamina and their effort every day during writing period. Many students struggle with having to write and rewrite over and over- as it is a rigorous cycle, but many of the kiddos are staying positive about it. 

Students are also starting their first of many book clubs this year. We are working on looking for themes and figuring out the major ideas in books. The students and I have made contracts outlining the boundaries and expectations of book clubs. They seem to really like the idea and have chosen some pretty great titles to read as well. 

We also started word study this week officially. Every morning when the kids arrive, once they've settled in they do a word sort, and write it in their journals. For homework each night, they need to practice the sort on the yellow sheet, and write their words in a silly way. In class, we will be working on applying their words in their writing and in their reading, to help them recognize the rules and patterns of the language. They will only have word study homework 4/5 days each week, no work on Fridays. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. 

ON a side note, the game is going well-  we've slowed down a little bit, as I've been working on trying to keep up with everything else going on. Hopefully we finish this first mission quickly and and can get started on our next mission. 


No comments:

Post a Comment